At this point I think I should add a caveat and reassurance that what you see below is something much more experimental than I would ever dream of recommending in any of my designs for others! The advantage of doing our own garden is that we can get to try out things that might seem a bit wacky, and test them out. For my design work I am keen to find workable solutions that are tried and tested, and considerably easier to implement, though this of course varies depending on the needs of the particular design job.
Back to the story...
We also added some friable mix from some dismantled wicking beds, the tree rounds are there as stepping stones.
And finally, our daughter helps by broadcasting oat and fenugreek seeds as a green manure. Now it's the end of June, it may just be too cold for germination (though I am told fenugreek can germinate in very cold soils). We covered the area with some spare shadecloth to protect from birds and I guess we'll just wait and see if anything comes up! [Update 17/7/2017 - the seeds are up! And they did especially well under the shadecloth - extra insulation at this time of year I guess...]
One bed done, another one to go. The far bed was actually much simpler as rain water will be entering from the high side anyway, meaning a very slight slope in that bed will be an advantage... For this bed we used compost, mulch and some remaining topsoil. You can see it filled in the picture below. One of our dogs, Kiki, poses for the camera on the path between the beds. You can see the shade cloth on the closer bed protecting the seeds. There is some fencing in the background too - let's just say that two kelpies and earthworks are not a very productive combination, so we're fencing off the whole area until things get established and there's not so much bare soil for the dogs to move around!
The white sticks in the foreground are markers for where some dwarf fruit trees will be planted into the berm, which is a great segue into my next post... planting up the berms!